Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Year, New me

Cliche: It's a new year and a new me... 

Truth: I don't want to be a new me, I like me... I want to be an improved me, Lacey 2.0 if you will. I want to work on the things that I always thought I was too busy to do before. 

2015 was a whirlwind of events, a plethora of defining moments: new apartment, rekindled love, became a wife for the second time, became an aunt, lost my job, and forgot who I was... 

The loss of my job was unfortunately the moment that I allow define me and how I allowed myself to spiral out of control. I became riddled with anxiety, doubt, depression, self-hatred and weight gain... all things I said I would never allow to rule me ever again. 

As 2015 came to a close I realized that I was the only person in control of the things I allow into my life, including how I felt about myself, my family, my career. I began thinking about the moments in my life that I was the happiest: when I was the healthiest. Healthy mentally, emotionally, physically, financially. Those moments were all when I was focused on my relationship with God and all the other stuff just fell into place. 

A few years ago I had the pleasure of working with Kansas City Fitness Magazine as a hair/makeup artist for their "Biggest Loser" style competition. I was so inspired that I signed up to do the next round. Through that program I learned so much about nutrition, fitness and myself... I also made some really fantastic friendships and contacts. Two coaches/trainers really spoke volumes to me, Jen and Tristan. They were so fit and beautiful... and they knew their shizz. I lost touch with them after the challenge was over, but with the magic of social media I was able to reconnect. 

Jen reached out to me about a challenge group this past summer and I was all in... I mean, I drug my feet a bit to get there but when I got there I was definitely all in.  Well, I was in until I let life take over. The program was 21 Day Fix. Jen provided me with some great coaching and I was doing pretty darn well, I made it to day 17 and had already lost 11 inches... that was crazy awesome!! I started coaching right away because I was so excited to share this amazing program, I was promoted to the second level of coaching (Emerald) within less than a month. And then life happened.

I gave up. 

Jen and Tristan never stopped reaching out to me, never stopped encouraging me. And here I am now, ready to get back in the saddle. This journey is mine and I'm going to rock at it. 

Newness: Here are the things that I'm working on for me, in the new year that is 2016: 
1. gratitude
2. bible study and prayer life
3. personal health 
4. personal development
5. helping others/volunteering

Priorities and goals have always eluded me... I've had them, don't get me wrong but I think I've had them a little out of order. Today's sermon at church was all about priorities and it spoke volumes to me on every level. 

Pastor talked about distractions (anxiety, depression, anything that distracts), if your priorities are in order the distractions won't be distractions. Whoa! That was a major eye opener for me... guess I know where I'll be putting in some time this week, month, year. 

At the close of service during invitation the praise and worship band performed a song that nearly brought me to tears, I wish I could recall the title... but I can tell you the words that continue to ring in my head at this moment "bear your cross as you wait for your crown." MIND BLOWN. No need for details, I'm just going to leave that there for you to ponder. 

Reality: As the weekend comes to a close and I reflect on everything that was today (including a KC Chiefs win!) I am humbled. I am tired. I am prepared for the next week's battles. Bring it Monday, God's got this. 



No comments:

Post a Comment